Friday, May 7, 2010

Race & Rally Day 6

Day 5 had taken us to Williston airport. Day 6 was originally set as a 230km task to Moultrie, GA. The day started off wet, and cloudbase was low again. The task was shortened to LiveOak, about 118km.
Day 6 Task

While we were setting up the sky was dark with large rain cells on course. The start times were pushed back an hour and by the time the launch window opened, it was slightly better with some blue sky.
Dark Clouds On Course

I towed up early, maybe 2nd or 3rd in line. I figured the day was as good as it was going to get. The tow was easy and the lift was light, but smooth. I climbed slowly with Derrick Turner, then Ben Dunn, then JD. Again, we weren’t getting high. Not more than 2,000 – 2,500’. I was having a little bit of trouble dealing with the gaggles today. I don’t know if they were particularly chaotic, or if I just wasn’t in sync with them. It seemed that people were coming in all directions, I was getting waked steadily, and kept getting pushed out of the thermal when someone would cut inside me and then fly straight. I did manage to get the camera out and take a little video:

Link

Aside from the gaggle, the air was very pleasant. I was however a little concerned about making low crossings over forests, as well as the fact that I couldn’t see far due to the haze and was therefore unsure what weather was rolling towards us. I decided that I didn’t feel like going on course unless things changed. I flew around for a while longer, trying to get higher, but eventually fell out of the lift and headed back to the air field. Landing was smooth and I packed up and headed out with Bob to retrieve the rest of our crew and then drive to Moultrie. Ben and JD landed inside the start cylinder. John Simon made it a number of miles. No one made goal.
Gaggle In the Start Cylinder
Ace Comp Pilot Ben Dunn Climbing Up

No comments: