Sunday, June 6, 2010

Skunked at Yosemite

The snow pack was huge, the falls were epic, and we got skunked.

The WOR crew headed to Yosemite this weekend for some epic waterfall flying action. Sure, there was forecasted flooding in the valley this weekend, but surely our LZ would be dry. Right….

Here's our "Landing Zone"

Things were just a little bit too epic and we found ourselves both mornings looking at a lake instead of a landing zone. We called off the flying for both days, and instead enjoyed the valley and the weekend. Saturday most pilots opted to hike the Yosemite Falls trail. It was well worth doing as the volume of water coming off the falls is amazing. All around the valley the falls are full, and there are even falls that I have never seen before.

We made sure to not have any ground fires in the lake...

The scenery was amazing, and even without flying it was a great weekend. I really wanted to get some aerial footage of the falls, but it wasn’t meant to be. Next time!

Ansel Adams Who?

The Lower Falls From Above

3 ACPs

This fall does not usually exist. I've never seen it before

Pilots on launch, but no gliders...

3 comments:

Matt Epperson said...

Bummed I was missing epic falls in Yosemite due to work I would have never guessed it could be THAT epic. Nice pictures and thanks for not burning down the LZ.

west coast brit said...

I am guess the "Mist Trail" was closed for the moment. I wonder if Kayaking is allowed in the LZ (not withstanding onboard fire) ? Nice pix - Sorry I couldn't make it.

Chris Sass said...

Epic pictures even though you didn't fly. I love the "No ground fires" sign!