Friday, February 4, 2011

Huge Gust Front

Last week I was flying from San Francisco to Charlotte. Heading East, we passed just North of Mono Lake and the Owen's Valley. The view was spectacular, as always. One or two ranges East of the Owens, I saw this massive gust front.
Click on the photo above to get a bigger, zoomed in view.

At the top end of the photo you can just make out the white capped peaks of the Sierra's.

At first I thought it couldn't be a gust front. The clouds above it showed no sings of wind. There were no cumulonimbus clouds in site. But it was too large to be anything else. These photos are looking back towards the South West. The front is moving North.



I travel on airliners a lot, and I enjoy it much more ever since I started hang gliding. I love seeing places I have flown from 30,000'. I enjoy the perspective and get a kick out of seeing all the great looking ranges waiting to be flown.

No comments: