Sunday, July 5, 2009

Chelan 2009 - Day 1

I am writing this post from the bed of my truck as a gust front rolls through town and tries to blow the rest of camp away.

Conditions were tough today. High level clouds were shutting down the thermals, and we waited hours for the sun to start hitting the bute. Around 2pm pilots started to launch and all were struggling to get up. The launch line formed quickly and after waiting in it for 20 minutes I thought about stepping out of line and waiting further for the day to improve. I opted to go ahead and launch.

Pilots were climbing slowy in a thermal to the west. I had seen another group earlier get a good climb to the east and I headed there. I found nothing and was soon struggling to stay up and not go to the bail out LZ. I lost the battle and set up an approach into the soccer field LZ. Many other pilots were there and only a few were able to get across the gorge.

Tomorrow I need to be more aggressive and dive into known lift, even if there are a lot of pilots in the same thermal.

The soccer field LZ is a nice place to land. Soft green grass with plenty of shade trees to break down under, and right by the river.

Alex coming in hot

Valley showing off

The Canuck threading the trees

hangin

No comments: