Thursday, July 9, 2009

Chelan 2009 - Day 5

Finally…

Chelan Lake from 9,500'

With the low pressure system dissipating, we finally got a classic Chelan day. The winds were light, the dust devils were ripping through launch, and the flats were full of cumulous clouds and dusty’s marking the way.

The launch line filled quick and I found myself a few minutes late, putting me towards the back. I waited with Alex and Chris for at least a half an hour and had made slow progress towards the front of the line. Pilots were scratching out front and we eventually decided to tie our gliders back down and wait for a better cycle. Eventually we got in the air, hours behind the first pilots off.

The lift was broken at first and I found myself scratching low, desperate to avoid sinking out. A small climb turned into a big climb, and then the whole mountain let loose and I rocketed up to 9,500’ at over 1000 feet per minute. Reaching cloud base, I turned to make the crossing across the Columbia River. From 9,500’ the crossing was easy and Alex, Chris and Myself were soon on the other side, flying fast trying to catch up.

Chris took a straight line to Mansfield, while Alex and I headed towards the junction of 17 and 2. I had the option midway to the first turnpoint to work a slightly smaller triangle (Farmers, Sims, and back), but I was eager for the challenge and wanted to go big. So Alex and I pushed on the 17-2. Climbs were strong with 1000fpm up being common. The corresponding sink inbetween the lift was equally huge. The views were amazing.
The Flats. Just past Withrow on the way to 17-2. Jameson Lake in the foreground

Nearing 17, I could see that the turnpoint was 5 miles into a blue hole. I could not see any clouds or dust devils and new it would be tough to tag it and make it back to the lift. I could see a solid cloud street on the way to Sims and new I just needed to get to 9k to make the turnpoint with enough altitude to get back in the game. It was a struggle and I worked light lift for nearly 45 minutes. At one point Steve was flying with me and he eventually gave up on the turnpoint and headed to Sims. 3 sailplanes also joined in. One of them flew 100’ below me, waving from the cockpit.
Banks Lake from the 17-2 turnpoint

Eventually I got high enough to dart in and tag the waypoint. I pulled on full rope and barreled towards Sims. The cloudstreet was gone and it was looking grim. I stopped to climb in even the lightest lift, just trying to maintain altitude until I could round the Sims turnpoint and get back towards Mansfield where it was still going off. I reached Sims and headed West. I got down to 3000’, less than 1000 off the deck. A solid climb had me thinking I was back in the game, but it disappeared at 5k, and I found massive sink as I continued on course.

Coming in over the field Alex had landed in, I saw 2 dust devils. I was a bit low to be diving into them, but I pulled on the VG and flew straight at them at 50mph. I passed low over the top, ready for the turbulence and sudden lift. But my dust devil turned out to be a phantom. I search over, upwind, downwind, side to side, and back across but found nothing. With a few hundred feet left I unzipped my harness, and brought it down for a nice landing a few yards from Alex.

It was a rewarding day. I knew I would be pushing it with such a big task so late in the day, but I was up for the challenge and feel I made really good tactical decisions along the way.

Meanwhile, Chris had his best flight ever making it past Mansfield to Leahe junction. The Flying Canuck dominated with a Farmers-Sims-Soccer Field triangle. That should put him around 70 miles with a 1.5x multiplier for the triangle. Nice job Doug!

Bruce pulled off 17/2-Sims-Airport, just squeaking over the rim of the gorge on the way back. Steve was close behind landing on the rim just short.

Tomorrow is the last day. Hoping for more good weather and another chance to get out for a big task on the flats.

No comments: