Sunday, January 10, 2010

Speed Gliding Practice Days

The event is drawing ever nearer. I think that Chris, JB and I have put together a pretty good course. It's fast and aggressive and I've been struggling to get my glider down at a steep enough angle. I'm improving each time, but need lots more practice (and maybe some ballast...).

The course we've set up is shown here. Red line is the open course and the kingposted course. Light blue line is the rookie course (which we decided today needs to be changed). The Start Gate, TP 4, TP 5 and the Finish Gate are "Altitude Control Gates". That means you have to have your wing and/or body within 20' of the ground as you go through. The rule is optional for the kingposted class (they can fly above the altitude gate with no penalty), and prohibited for the rookies (flying below the altitude gate is an automatic DQ).
This weekend has been the first realy good weather for speed gliding that we have seen. I got in a few practice runs and put together a course tour video. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Constantin Gabor said...

What camera gear did u use for this video?
I've recently got a GoPro HD but I have problems running videos on my computer. The only good rendering I get with 1280x720 p at 30 fps.
Any tips?

Cheers!
Constantin