Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Chelan '08, Day 3

Chelan Lake, Butte, and the Gorge, from 11,000'

7/1/2008
Forecast for today was similar to yesterday. Light winds, chance of thunderstorms. The day seemed to be starting earlier with dust devils on launch by 11:30am. I decided it looked promising and suited up. I was the first off the hill at 12:45pm. Ben soon followed me and we climbed up to 7,000’. Then everything shut down as a shadow passed over the butte. The next pilot off sunk out and we went into survival mode trying to minimize our decent. Back down to 5,000’ and things started to pick up again. Ben and I left the butte to make the crossing before anyone else had even gotten off the hill.

The crossing was easier today and I took a more southerly route this time. Got to the flats with 6,000’. A dusty formed ahead and Ben and I pulled vg and dove like madmen into it. Hitting the lift we would bank up and drop the vg and climb out. Our climbs were between 8 and 9,000’. We would leave light lift and press on to find stronger stuff.

We were feeling good about the day so we skipped the two closer waypoint that can be used for triangles and pressed on to 17/220 waypoint (~34 miles from launch). We had some great climbs. I got up to 11,000’ and reached cloud base. It was exciting to be thermaling wingtip to wingtip with Ben when we were out there all alone way ahead of everyone else.


The triangle we were shooting for is about 80 miles. Since others had struggled to get off the hill I was thinking there was a possibility that Ben and I could tie for 1st place for the day if we could complete the task. It was extremely difficult at times and I had to fight back up several times from low.

But I was determined and hung on. We made the first turnpoint and pressed on. Near the second turnpoint clouds were starting to form faster and we had reports of overdevelopment back at the butte. In hindsight we should have taken a nearby intermediate turnpoint and tried to get as far back towards chelan as possible (if you make 50% of the distance on the last leg of the triangle, you get the triangle multiplier on your score). But I had big plans in my head and pressed again to the farther turnpoint.
Rounding the last turnpoint about 55 miles on course, we are now faced with quickly overdeveloping conditions to the Northwest and Southwest. My gps says I need 8 more miles to make the multiplier. We press on. But now we start to see gustfronts and rain ahead and to both sides. I start to feel like I am flying myself into a corner. The lift is starting to get really good. A bad sign. Sara calls in from up ahead and says winds on the ground are starting to get strong. I make my call and turn around. I dive away from the gust fronts hoping to give myself enough time to land and break down my glider before they hit. It was tough to give up so many points, but it was a great flight. I am sitting here smiling as I type this. Flying so hard and so far with Ben was a blast and a great lesson.

Don't want to fly through this...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the video...did your ride show up?