Tuesday, July 15, 2008

King 2008 - Day 1

Not much time for blogging out here, so this will be short. Scroll down, 2 posts today. No pictures yet

7/14/2008

First day of the comp looked promising. Lift forecast to 17,000' or higher. We have a special window that can be opened here to allow freeflight above the normal 18,000' FAA limit up to 23,000'. The meet organizers opened the window and we were all hopeful.

I climbed up after launch into some strong thermals. I had a problem with my oxygen system and wasn't getting any O2. It took a while to troubleshoot it since I had to reach into a low pocket i could not see. Eventually got it fixed and headed back into the thermals.

I had a strongest thermal I've ever been in with a sustained climb over 1000' per minute for 4 minutes. I topped out at 15,500' and headed over the back of the mountain. Route 3 had been called for the day and it looked good.

I got drilled crossing the next valley. The rotor off of King mountain pounded me with 2000' per minute down air. I just made it to the foothills of the next range, but could not find anything to get me back up and was forced to land after 15 miles. I watched others fly over my head on their way to 40, 50, 75 and 100 mile flights.

I was disapointed with my flight. I picked a bad line crossing the valley. We get 2 throw-away days here, but it's tough to have to use one on such a good day.

No comments: