Friday, December 31, 2010

Flying Out 2010

It's the last day of 2010, and Windy Hill was the call. Seeing the forecast for East winds diminishing rapidly as the day went on, I opted for an early foray to the hill. I could not convince anyone else to join me in the LZ at 8:30am, so after setting up streamers I hiked my gear up the long trail to launch solo.

I was rewarded by winds light, but straight in, and an abundance of fog cloud forming and dissipating around the hill making for some beautiful scenery.





I set up quickly both to be ready to launch before the easterlies quit, and to stay warm. After chatting with a few interested hikers, I was ready to go by 9:45 am. I launched into a light breeze and enjoyed a wonderfully smooth sled run at my favorite local site. The hills were green, the mist was rolling, and I can not think of any better way to spend the last hours of 2010.

Does It Get Any Better Than This?
The LZ was wet, but the sun was warm and the quiet meadow brought a smile to my face.

I made a short movie of the flight to capture the mood of the day:

Link

I opted to do a self retrieve today and hike back up to the top, taking the opportunity to see from the ground that which I so often view from the air. It's a 1 hour hike at a brisk pace, and I need to do it more often. It's almost as nice as the flight down.


We have had some high winds lately, and the Eucalyptus and other trees show it.
The sky continued to produce spectacular views throughout the day

It has been another great year. I flew 5 new sites, including 3 sites in Florida (http://pilotneedsride.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html) and Makapu'u on Oahu (http://pilotneedsride.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html)
I've had some setbacks with an injury and, of course, work always interferes. But I feel blessed to have spent another year in air and to have shared it with good friends and my wonderful family.

I'm looking forward to another great year, and many more to come.

2010 Flight Statistics:

Airtime: 54:10
Flights: 127
Flying Days: 67

3 comments:

Matt Epperson said...

Cool local hill, I want to check it out one of these East days. I like the RLF approach into the LZ.

Mom said...

Impressive end-of-year stats! You have more flights and more days (but not as many hours) as your Dad!

Angie said...

What a fabulous way to end the year!