Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Chelan XC Classic 2010: Day 3

You win some, you lose some.

Yesterday I was 3rd for the day with my out and return to Farmers. Today I didn't fly.

The day started out with strong-ish North East winds. Out on the flats, the dust was blowing hard. It seemed like a late day and we all waited, watching the various launches either blowing down or 90 degrees cross. For a moment one of the launches looked good. I was considering get ready to launch when one pilot went off. He climbed up quick and everyone raced for their gliders.

I did not want to wait in line with dust devils ripping through, so I waited before suiting up. This felt like the safe move to me, but it cost me my chance to get up and out onto the flats. The wind shifted, people got drilled, and eventually I bagged it.

It was frustrating not to fly, but there were conditions I had never seen at Chelan before, and I'm ok with being cautious.

1 comment:

joe jackson said...

Good job Monday, Sugar Plum. Now if you can just do something about that caution problem...