Thursday, July 8, 2010

Chelan XC Classic 2010: Day 5

The flight that could have been…

Today was looking better than the previous two days. Launches were blowing straight. Forecast was for light winds. It was on.

I suited up when it was obviously soarable. I was going to be the second pilot off, but had some radio issues. I needed to unhook and go troubleshoot my communications system. I’ve never had a problem with my radios before. I rushed to the car, replaced and component, and still nothing. I could hear, but could not transmit.

I told Wendy that I would just follow Chris, and that if we got separated I would only fly the route to Farmers, Mansfield, and back. That way they would know where to look for me. It seemed like an ok-ish plan until Chris, launching several gliders before me, got drilled. Despite his massive ACP skills, he was soon on the ground.

Now I was in the air, with no radio. I climbed to 7,800’ and headed across the gorge in a mild headwind. Flying with another pilot, we got out to the flats and hit some strong lift. Over the power lines I climbed quickly but found a very strong North wind. I was drifting to the south at 15mph while I climbed. I desperately wanted to change my route, and hit Waterville first, and then perhaps stay towards the South. Making it to Farmers, and then Mansfield look tough.

I decided to head back to the soccer field for two reasons. First, I did not want to stray from my pre-defined route with no radio. If I were to get injured or stuck somewhere, my crew would have no idea where to look. Second, I didn’t want to put our driver in the situation of having to wander around on the flats for hours not knowing if I was still in the air or not.

High Over the Columbia River

The radio is all sorted out and ready to go for tomorrow. One more day!

No comments: