Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Getting Ready for The Race & Rally


This morning I leave for Florida. A couple days of work near Tampa, and then I will remain out there for another week to compete in the Flytec Race & Rally.

The Race & Rally is a unique hang gliding competition. It is a 7 day comp, with race-to-goal format. And we're doing it rally style. Starting in southern Florida, each days task will be to one of ~15 pre-arranged airstrips. Which one will depend on the weather. The next day we will start from there and fly to the next one. And so on. By the end of the week we will likely be somewhere in Georgia, and possibly as far north as South Carolina.

It's definitely the kind of comp where you need a support crew since we will be in a new location each day. Ben Dunn has graciously driven out to florida (with my glider and HG gear) and done all the legwork to arrange a driver. Nice!

Many of the best pilots from around the globe will be at the competition. I'm pretty excited about that because I imagine they've all wanted a chance to fly with me...

I spent the last day or two laying out my clothes and other stuff I need to take. It occurred to my yesterday that I will be gone for 12 days. Somehow that hadn't sunk in.

Got it all laid out and checked off. Hopefully I'm not forgetting something important

It all fits nicely in my fancy new ACP bag

Yeah, I went out and bought a new hardcore bag just for this, and it's got Ace Comp Pilot written all over it. ACPs are about style before substance and this bag fits the bill. It's so hardcore. I'm going to be sure to take lots of photos with the bag. People won't even notice when I land out 1 mile from the start cylinder. They'll just be looking at the bag. Heck, I don't even need to fly as long as I stay near the bag.

What's that on the travel tag you ask?
ACPs don't need to advertise, but we do anyway.

No comments: