Monday, April 26, 2010

Race & Rally Day 2

Cancelled

After intense rain and thunder storms last night, today was clear and dry. Winds were strong again, and a task was called downwind. After getting set up and moving over to the staging line, some discussion began on the safety committee about whether the day should be cancelled. The concern was the strong winds that were forecast to build. Apparently the tall trees around the flight park create difficult launching conditions above 15mph.

A couple pilots launched including Jeff OB, and Davis. Their launches look ok, and they found climbs easy enough. The safety committee was hesitant to make a decision, so we all started suiting up and getting in the launch line. Finally the day was cancelled due to the winds.

It felt like an ok decision to me, but I am not familiar with the site and what is safe or not in regards to wind speed and direction here. Some people seemed happy, others angry with the call. I have less stake in this comp then some, so it is easy for me to just go with it. I was fairly nervous about launching as I am less experienced at aero-towing then most of the competitors, but I had decided that it was doable and was going to give it a try if the day had not been cancelled. I was relieved by the safety committee's call, but am eager to fly tomorrow.

Tomorrow looks to be slightly less windy. We'll start at Quest and head north.

No comments: