Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Race & Rally Day 4

Frustration

I was very excited about todays task. A 67 mile route to the South, with a light to moderate quartering crosswind. I got organized early, got myself a nice spot at the front of the staging line, and felt organized and ready to go.

Day 4 Taks Board

The Staging Line

My first weaklink broke right off the cart. I landed fine, got my head together, replaced the link and got back in the front of the launch line.

My second weaklink broke at about 900 feet. I was upwind of Quest, over unlandable areas in sink. I bee-lined back to the park to try and save the tow. I failed and was soon back on the ground.

My third tow was a wild ride. At about 50 to 100 feet off the ground the tug pilot put his dragonfly in a steep and sharp left turn. He maintained this turn for the rest of the tow, taking me up in a tight, spiraling climb. I was cursing and pleading for him to straighten out, but of course no one could here me but me. At about 1,000’ I finally lost my battle to stay in a good spot behind him and was flung rapidly to the outside of the turn. Recognizing a lockout I quickly pulled me release and flew away flustered. I was in lift and worked some light climbs for a few minutes. But nothing substantial was to be found and I was soon on the ground again.

I was determined to get on course so I took one final tow. This one was smooth and easy and finally got me up to 2,000’. I pinned off and immediately started searching for lift, heading downwind away from quest. I was not going to launch a 5th time, so no reason to stay within reach of the flight park. My problem now was that I was alone on a cloudless day with weak lift. I needed other gliders to help mark the climbs.

I headed to a small gaggle of about 4 gliders who seemed to be climbing slowly. I was about 500’ below them and I struggled to find the lift. A few times I felt I had found a good climb, only to loose it. I ended up landing in a big field only a mile or two from Quest.

It was a frustrating day, but I think I learned a few new things about towing, and I’m motivated to improve tomorrow.

No comments: